OCASI - Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants is pleased to announce our e-learning training course Foundations of Settlement Work in Ontario, Level 2.
This FREE introductory-level course is the second of two online facilitated training courses about immigrant and refugee settlement in Ontario.
This five-week course builds on the information about history, policy, and laws regarding immigration to Canada in Foundations of Settlement Work, Level 1. It is intended to help front-line practitioners working with immigrants and refugees to better understand the immigrant and refugee-serving sector; values, principles, and standards for settlement work; and ways to support newcomers who encounter common barriers and challenges to successful settlement.
While it is not necessary to complete Foundations of Settlement Work in Ontario, Level 1 before taking this course, it is strongly recommended.
Upon completion of the training, you will be able to:
- Apply your understanding of anti-racism, anti-oppression, intersectionality, and related key concepts to enhance your work with immigrants, refugees, and people without status in Canada
- Understand how services for immigrants and refugees are funded and delivered in Ontario
- Describe principles, values, standards, and best practices in the immigrant and refugee-serving sector
- Describe the role of the settlement worker, and the scope of workers’ responsibilities
- Understand many of the common challenges and barriers that immigrants and refugees face as they settle in Ontario
- Provide effective support and accurate, up-to-date information and resources to help newcomers address these issues and barriers, and settle effectively in their new communities
Although prior e-learning experience is not required, it will be an asset. You will need access to a computer for this training as well as 2-3 hours per week to complete the tasks over the five-week period.
You will be required to complete the following:
- Each of the five modules at any time within its scheduled week
- All activities, including quizzes and assignments
- Participation in the online forums
- re and post surveys
At the successful completion of the entire e-course, you will receive a certification of completion from OCASI.
You will receive instructions on how to access the course materials two days before the course begins.
There is no “live” component to the training and you are expected to review and complete each week’s course materials at your own pace during the designated week. While you can access each module at your convenience during each week for the course, they will be available as follows:
- Module 1: February 4 – February 10, 2020
- Module 2: February 11 – February 17, 2020
- Module 3: February 18 - February 24, 2020
- Module 4: February 25 – March 2, 2020
- Module 5: March 3 – March 9, 2020
Please note: Course registration closes on January 29, 2020 and spaces are limited.
- Emily Mooney, is a trained facilitator, ESL teacher, researcher, writer, and registered social worker who has developed and facilitated several of OCASI's online courses, including Foundations of Settlement Work in Ontario.
For more information on the course, contact Emily Mooney – firstname.lastname@example.org