[Online Training] OCASI-Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants is pleased to invite participants to its updated Facilitated E-learning Training on Sexual Violence: Understanding & Responding to Sexual Violence in Immigrant and Refugee Communities.
Purpose of Course
The purpose of this FREE introductory-level course is to help front line practitioners working with immigrant and refugee communities to better understand issues of sexual violence and develop a supportive response for survivors. It is important to note that when discussing sexual violence, the focus will not only be on abuse that can occur within intimate relationships but also sexual violence that is perpetuated by family members, friends, acquaintances, those in positions of power and strangers.
The course is a 5 week online facilitated training and is not meant to provide in-depth training on how to become a sexual violence counsellor. However, course content will emphasize the importance of working within professional boundaries and providing referrals to external sources when required.
Upon completion of the Training you will be able to:
- Analyze the issue of sexual violence from a gendered and anti-oppression framework
- Critically analyze the realities of immigrant and refugee women who have experienced sexual violence in the context of structural and systemic barriers
- Understand the broad range of supports available to survivors of sexual violence
- Understand the legislative responses to sexual violence in Canada
- Develop an understanding of the Province’s 2015 Sexual Violence Action Plan
- Identify information and tools on how to support survivors of sexual violence including: effectively responding to disclosures, safety planning with women and making effective referrals
- Identify ways of promoting community and social change by engaging survivors of sexual violence in organizational change, bridging sectors, promoting inter-agency information sharing and referrals, case coordination and public education.
Criteria for Participation:
This course is open to settlement workers and service providers employed at any OCASI member agency and working with immigrant and refugee women from across the province who are willing to:
- Commit to approximately 3-5 hours of learning each week for the period of 5 weeks
- Engage in active participation and complete assignments each week
- Participate in a group work assignment with fellow students
- Complete the entire program
Although prior e-learning experience is not required, it will be an asset. You will need access to a computer for this training.
At the successful completion of the entire e-course you will receive a certification of completion and a letter of appreciation from OCASI.
Please note this is a 5 session facilitated online training
You will receive instructions on how to access the course materials 2 days prior to the beginning of each course.
There is not a “LIVE” component to the training and you are expected to review each week’s course materials at your own time and complete the work on a weekly basis. While you can access each module at your convenience during each week for the course, they will be available as follows:
SV I: November 8th-December 13th , 2016
Module 1: Tuesday, November 8th, 2016
Module 2: Tuesday, November 15th, 2016
Module 3: Tuesday, November 22nd, 2016
Module 4: Tuesday, November 29th , 2016
Module 5: Tuesday, December 6th, 2016
The course will be completed on Tuesday, December 13th, 2016
If you interested in participating in this training, please click here and complete the registration form that follows:
Registration Deadline: 9:00 a.m., Thursday, November 3rd, 2016 (or once registration fills up) Register Early: Enrollment is limited.
If you have any questions regarding the training, please e-mail Krittika Ghosh at firstname.lastname@example.org