OCASI - Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants is pleased to announce our upcoming facilitated e-
Creating Inclusive Spaces for
WHEN: January 21st – February 11th, 2020
Purpose of the Course
The purpose of this FREE introductory course
Moving to a new country presents many challenges and opportunities for newcomers. The settlement process can be especially challenging for newcomers with in/visible disabilities.
OCASI is committed to supporting the settlement sector create welcoming, positive and inclusive spaces for all. This course will allows settlement sector employees to acquire new skills and knowledge in areas related to service provision to immigrants and refugees with in/visible disabilities.
Through this course, settlement sector employees learn more about immigrants and refugees
Upon completion of the Training you will be able to:
1. Compare and contrast how people with in/visible disabilities
2. Explain the different social and cultural understandings of disability in different parts of the world.
3. Recall international, national, and provincial laws that are in place to protect the rights of people with in/visible disabilities.
4. Recognize how structures and systems of power impact people with in/visible disabilities.
5. Identify good/best practices to support the inclusion of immigrants/refugees with
Criteria for Participation:
This course is open to settlement workers and service providers who are working in or with the immigrant and refugee serving sector across the province who are willing to:
· Commit to approximately 2-4 hours of learning each week for the period of 4 weeks.
· Engage in active participation and complete assignments each week
· Complete the entire program
Please note this is a 4 session facilitated ONLINE
You will receive instructions on how to access the course materials 2 days prior to the beginning of each course.
There is no “LIVE” component to the training and you are expected to review each week’s course materials at your own time and complete the work on a weekly basis. While you can access each module at your convenience during each week for the course, they will be available as follows:
January 21st - February 11th, 2020
Module 1: Tuesday, January 21st, 2020
Module 2: Tuesday, January 28th, 2020
Module 3: Tuesday, February 04th, 2020
Module 4: Tuesday, February 11th, 2020
To Register for the Training: Click Here
Registration Deadline: 10 am, January 17th, 2020 (or once registration fills up)
Register Early: Enrollment is limited!
Accessibility Initiative coordinators at OCASI: Carmen Galvan and Sihem Ait Hammouda.
OCASI’s “Creating Inclusive Spaces