The Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI) acts as a collective voice for immigrant and refugee-serving organizations and coordinates a response to shared needs and concerns. OCASI is a registered charity governed by a volunteer board of directors. OCASI’s membership is comprised of over 200 community-based organizations in Ontario.
The Settlement Training guide was initially developed by OCASI in 1990 and further revised in 2000, as a tool to meet the needs of the settlement sector for training resources. It was developed as a professional development tool for settlement services providers to provide them with the knowledge, skills and tools to address and understand the particular programming and service needs of immigrant and refugee populations in Ontario. OCASI is currently seeking a content developer to update and revise this guide to produce a third edition.
Book Title: Immigrant Settlement Counselling: A Training Guide
Target: Frontline practitioners & community workers of immigrant and refugee services organizations looking to improve existing services.
- To assist practitioners (frontline workers) and their coordinators to develop a solid base of knowledge and experience which they can draw on to provide a high standard of service
- To provide techniques that are valuable in increasing the skills and knowledge of settlement counsellors
- To answer challenging questions related to settlement counselling
Review, Revise and Update the Training Guide to capture:
- Current issues of the settlement sector
- The changing demographics of client groups
- Existing service standards
- Performance measurement
- Occupational competencies
- Anti-oppression model for service delivery
- To provide culturally and linguistically responsive counselling
- Other services that meet the needs of immigrants and refugees
- Have done prior work on content writing similar to this type of project (such as, excellent English written, verbal and editing skills & French is an asset)
- Excellent research skills (e.g. services & resources for newcomers)
- Knowledge of the immigrant and refugee serving sector in Ontario
- Familiar with the work of OCASI
- Experience and expertise in newcomer settlement services
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with issues affecting newcomers, immigrants and refugees in Ontario
- Knowledgeable about barriers to success (such as, LGBTQ, Racism & discrimination) faced by immigrants and refugees
- Knowledge of the sectors (employment, health, housing) in the province of Ontario
- Ability and experience in working under tight deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Experience with contractual work ( e.g. ‘working part-time contract’)
- Part-time Contract: Must be able to work 21 hours per week
Compensation: $47,000 / year prorated +plus benefits package
How to apply:
Send cover letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, June 26, 2017 to:
OCASI 110 Eglinton Ave. West, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario, M4R 1A3
OCASI is Committed to Employment Equity.
Thank you to all applicants for applying. However, we regret that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.