The Early Childhood Educator (ECE) plans activities based on observations of the children’s interests and skills supported by “How Does Learning Happen? - Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years”. These activities support the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development and learning through play, exploration and inquiry. The ECE actively builds relationships with children and families while demonstrating dedication to the development, education and care of young children.
This position description is currently under review to incorporate core competencies. Final position description will be provided to the successful candidate when available.
Child Care and Education
- Create a welcoming, non-judgmental, inclusive atmosphere for children and their families
- Provide high quality positive early learning experiences at KCHC and other locations where required
- Plans and prepares activities that encourage children’s exploration, play and inquiry supported by “How Does Learning Happen? - Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years”
- Complete Ages and Stages development assessments on each child
- Support self-regulation and positive learning
- Arrange/Set-up room to enhance positive learning environments
- Prepare snacks, following nutritional policies and practices
- Maintain health and safety standards by ensuring space is safe, equipment and toys are disinfected and in good repair, and by taking every precaution reasonable to ensure the safety and well-being of children in care
- Provide child development information at Circle of Care Meetings
- Prepare Pedagogical documentation
- Complete documentation as required, maintain program records, collecting data and making reports as required
- Maintains competence through professional development activities as identified by the centre and the Ministry of Labour
- Attend team and program meetings, as required
- On occasion, other duties as required
- Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
- Supports consistent application and development of KCHC policies and procedures
- Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
- Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
Basic Education and Experience Requirements
- Early Childhood Educator (ECE) Diploma and current registration with the College of Early Childhood Educators
- Completion of the Ministry of Education – E- Learning Modules, “It Takes a Village” web based training
- Experience working with infants to children 6 years of age, using the four foundations of “How Does Learning Happen?” in group settings
- Experience working with equity issues and culturally diverse families
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Responsible, reliable and energetic
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to work independently and with a team
- Good oral and written communication skills (French or Arabic Bilingualism or proficiency in another language an asset)
- Current CPR and First Aid Training, including “infant” CPR and Automated External Defibrillator
- Familiarity with basic Microsoft office software and ability to document in electronic format
- Food Safety training, an asset
- Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning
- Communications, Planning and Implementing, Safety, Teamwork, Time Management
- Availability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings
- Up-to-date immunizations and TB test
- Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
How to apply:
- Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
- Save all documents as a single file using your own name (Last, First). A PDF format is preferred.
- E-mail to email@example.com citing reference “BBECE-2017” in the subject line.
- Applications must be received by the Human Resources Manager by 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, March 1, 2017.
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.
Kingston Community Health Centres, 263 Weller Ave. Kingston ON, K7K 2V4