The Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI) acts as a collective voice for immigrant and refugee-serving organizations and coordinates responses to shared needs and concerns. OCASI is a registered charity governed by a volunteer board of directors. OCASI’s membership is comprised of over 220 community-based organizations in Ontario.
The Settlement.Org Content Coordinator is responsible for the overall content of the Settlement.Org website including vision, breadth of coverage, quality and accuracy with the focus on setting strategic goals for the website and developing and implementing the content strategy.
The Coordinator works closely with Settlement.Org team members to ensure the ongoing growth and development of the website, with a focus on creating settlement content for our newcomer users. The position reports to the Manager, IT and New Media.
- Research and write settlement-related articles and guides in a web-friendly format and edit existing content in clear language, with strict attention to accuracy, detail and accessibility
- Participate in building and maintaining relationships with a variety of nonprofit and government organizations to acquire content that is relevant to newcomers to Ontario
- Work in cooperation with other community agencies gathering information to determine the content focus and client needs
- Monitor external websites and news sources for new content and updates to existing content
- Provide leadership on development and implementation of the content strategy
- Contribute to strategic planning and evaluation of Settlement.Org
- Supervise student staff or co-op students, in consultation with Manager
- Contribute to cross-team initiatives, work with members of other teams to ensure seamless service to client groups and partners
- Make recommendations for technical and design site improvements
- Fact-check content regularly and edit articles for accuracy; fix dead links
- Provide editorial and writing support to staff for internal and external communications
- Support Settlement.Org's outreach and strategic partnership initiatives; including Social Media
- Contribute to the development of funding proposals
- Represent OCASI on external advisory committees, as needed
- Provide back-up and support to Information & Referral Specialist, as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including strong editorial skills, have a BA in Communications or equivalent education and experience, and a minimum 3 years professional experience.
Other required qualifications include:
- Experience in web content management; experience with writing content in HTML (using software like Dreamweaver); familiarity with web-based content applications
- Proficiency with computers and Internet, including familiarity with community internet technologies, social media and online discussion forums
- Experience working in a newcomer direct service information and referral environment, preferably in the area of settlement
- Demonstrated sensitivity to other cultures and ability to outreach to newcomer communities
- Extremely strong writing and editing skills, especially within a web context; ability to write using plain language for an ESL audience
- Strong knowledge and understanding of settlement issues, barriers and information needs of newcomers
- Preference for working as part of a team/collaborative
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, partners, staff and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, independent, ability to meet tight deadlines and demanding schedules
- Strong research skills and an in-depth knowledge of Ontario’s human services system
The following would be considered an asset:
- Written proficiency in French
- Knowledge of accessibility principles for the web
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and Google Webmaster tools
- An understanding of Information and Referral standards
Mat Leave Replacement
Contract position until March 31, 2019
Compensation: $50,000 / year + plus benefits package
How to apply:
Send cover letter and resume by October 13, 2017 to:
Hiring Committee, OCASI
OCASI is committed to Employment Equity.
Thank yout to all applicants for applying. However, we regret that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.