After School Program Coordinator
|Organization:||The Stop Community Food Centre|
|Location:||Toronto, Greater Toronto Ontario|
Wednesday, June 06, 2012
The Stop Community Food Centre requires an After School Program Coordinator.
The Stop began over 30 years ago as one of North America’s first food banks, and has grown into a vibrant community centre, using food as a gateway to addressing many issues, including poverty, the environment, social isolation, and health in one of Toronto’s lowest-income neighbourhoods. The Stop’s mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds community and challenges inequality.
The Stop’s After School Program aims to help children develop skills, awareness and positive attitudes around growing, cooking and eating healthy food. We are looking for an individual who can create and facilitate inspiring food-based programming for kids aged 8-12 and contribute to a professional, cooperative and committed staff team.
- Develop and facilitate fun, hands-on food-related activities and resource materials
- Research and incorporate best practices in nutrition, cooking and gardening education for children
- Conduct outreach and recruit program participants
- Orient and supervise program volunteers and students
- Develop and implement policies to ensure safety of all participants
- Develop engagement initiatives for parents of ASP participants
- Develop and implement tracking tools and program evaluations
- Strong experience developing and offering creative programming for children, ideally within the 8-12 year-old age group
- A relaxed but firm approach to supervising children’s activities
- Ability to teach food skills and foster a positive attitude towards healthy, sustainable food in a way that inspires children and adults to change their food practices
- Experience with group facilitation and program coordination in a social services setting
- Demonstrated ability to work within a diverse community (people of different ages, abilities and cultural backgrounds)
- Post-secondary degree in a related area or the equivalent experience
- Self-motivated and able to work constructively as a member of a team
- Ability to speak a language relevant to the neighbourhood is an asset
This is a full-time position scheduled to work 37.5 hours per week.
The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a police check.
Salary: $21.40 per hour, plus benefits
The Stop Community Food Centre is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups.
Thank you to all applicants for your interest in the position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for the job
Hiring Committee – After School Program Coordinator
The Stop Community Food Centre
601 Christie Street, Box 181
Toronto, Ontario M6G 4C7